I’ve been very busy this past week. A friend of mind Brad (no relation), twists my arm every once in a while to get involved in shows or contests… nine times out of ten I bail. This time I thought it could be an opportunity to see what I could do with my sketches I’ve been making of cartoon characters. I approached it much like I was doing back in 2006 with my Music Royalty series.
Charlie Brown, Milhouse & SpongeBob SquarePants
I started on some Masters of the Universe sketches: Man at Arms
I also got going on roughing out the fox for my forest painting.
I’d like the thank everyone for their support with the forest painting. By Saturday morning I had sold them all. If you’re interested in grabbing one of these let me know ASAP. I’m not sure how many more I’m going to be able to make because the stencil will only last for a handful of sprays. I can make a limited number more. Once again if you’re interested in purchasing one, please email me at email@example.com subject line “forest painting”. And in the email let me know if you want the grey or the natural background.
On another note…one of the many projects I’ve been working on the last few weeks, has been modifying my booth for friend and former roommate Claire Manning.
It started with sanding, painting, and adding new knobs to an old dresser.
She had an old Umbra door clothing rack that I repainted, and made notches in the wall, so it would fit and prevent it from sliding from side to side. Finally I made simple shelves using cheap metal brackets.
Booth turned out great. Claire, another friend Michelle, and I got up at 3:30am this morning to set it all up.
If you’re hitting up the One Of A Kind Show in Toronto, be sure to stop by her booth. She’s at BOOTH P33. She’s selling tea towels, aprons, napkins and pillows.
I finished my stencil! After 10 months of picking away at it I cut my last piece on Monday at 2:30 am.
Felt good to finally have it done. The work wasn’t over though. I had to make a frame to slide the canvas into so the stencil could lay flat and I could make some sort of registration.
After that I tinted the white areas of the canvas so my highlights stencil would stand out.
Then I finally sprayed it. After layering colours over and over I got to a point where it looked perfect. Here they are…
So as you can see, this is just a section. I decided I can’t reveal it yet. I have only a fox to paint in and I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. From here on out any progress shots will be closeups until it’s finished.
So as I mentioned at the beginning of the post, I have spent the last 10 months working away at this. It has shaved a couple years off my hands and back so I decided I would make other versions for as long as the stencils will hold up for other people to enjoy. Yup, they’re on sale. Here they are….
3ft x 2ft (36″ x 24″) Spray paint on wood panel (grey)
3ft x 2ft (36″ x 24″) Spray paint & wood stain on wood panel (natural)
In the grey version I have painted the panel before adding the stencils. On the tan version I have applied natural wood stain to the panel before adding the stencils. Both are $200 each.
If you’re interested in purchasing one, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org subject line “forest painting”. And in the email let me know if you want the grey or the natural background. Please note each painting is unique and will differ from all others (it’s the nature of this process) so they may differ somewhat from these photos but will look every bit as good.
By one for yourself or give one as a gift (wink wink, nudge nudge).
Back to work,
I’m in the homestretch now with my forest stencil. I finally finished the first stencil which was for the shadows.
I’m onto the second one now which will make up the highlights. It’s been going super fast in comparison…. there is just simply less detail to cut.
I’m super pumped to be painting this within the next couple of weeks. In the first post about this painting I mentioned it’s been a long time coming (about 5-6 years). It’ll be great to move on to other projects I’ve had on the back-burner. I’ve decided instead of making one painting from these, I will make a few of them. Stay tuned! Next post should be the fruits of my labour.