Grinding Out The Details
I would be lying if I said every time I sit down to work on a project/painting/anything I kill it from start to finish. The pinup illustration I did for Easy Tiger Records was one of those occasions where I had my own personal stops and starts to get to the final image.
I started out with a few roughs showing different positions the pinup could be in.
From there, two roughs were taken to a colour rough with text placement.
The pose where the model is saluting was chosen to move to final linear.
The guys at Easy Tiger felt the first linear above had a face that was too aggressive and wanted a softer and more wide eyed look.
From there I transferred it to paper and began water colour painting it to get that vintage look. Not far into it, I decided this just wasn’t going to be the look I was trying to achieve. I would ultimately have to digitally tweak the water colour image to get the desired result. I decided to scrap the water colour and move to a digital painting. It’s actually been close to five years since I’ve done a digital painting. This took some extra time but it was well worth it.
This is when the good, the bad, and the ugly showed up. The good – I realized this was exactly the look we wanted. But I’d realized that there were aspects of the original drawing that were somewhat off. The pinup’s bent leg was massive. If you look above the red outline shows the original drawing overtop of the final proportions. I brought the leg in quite a bit and changed the bust to be more natural. Also, I changed the shape of the dress.
Here’s the final:
I’m really happy with how it turned out. I’m not giving up paining by any means but I might have to do a little more of these in the future.